Alice: Why, don’t you mean impossible?
Door: No, I do mean impassible (chuckles)
– Lewis Carroll, Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland
“Spools of inspiration” are a unique gift idea and a perfect touch for any bridal or baby shower. This is also a fun project for kids and adults alike. All you need to do is consider the message you want to share and then gather your supplies!
- Fabric or Ink Jet Fabric
- Fabric Pen or Ink Jet Printer
- Sewing machine or needle and thread
- Empty wood spool (the one shown is a vintage wood spool)
- Paint, crackle paint (optional) or miniature rubber stamps and ink
- Headpin or eyepin, wire cutters
- Beads (2 or 3)
- Straight pin
- Leave spool natural or paint to match a color scheme. You can embellish spools with ink prints or other embellishments. The one shown in the picture has gone through a crackle process (follow manufacturers direction for crackling medium). Consider using chalkboard paint and a white permanent marker to inscribe words or a quote. Allow paint to dry.
- Coat with a sealant (unless you are using chalkboard paint). Let dry.
- Print your message on ink jet fabric or simply write your message on fabric using a fabric pen.You can stitch pieces together like the one shown or simply have a free-flowing piece of fabric. I prefer to stitch them together for a unique look. Make sure the width will fit nicely around the spool. Leave extra fabric at the end to wrap around the spool.
- Once your message is complete, take the extra fabric at the end of the message and glue to the spool. I like using Liquid Fusion because it provides strength, as well as being nontoxic, waterproof and fast drying.
- Add a straight pin or decorative safety pin to hold together.
- Take a headpin or eye pin (I used a headpin) and add your beads. Trim the headpin so that it will not be too long. Add glue to the bottom of your beads and slide the head pin through the top hole. Let dry.