Benefits of Coconut Oil
Organic coconut oil is a staple around my house. But all coconut oil is not the same – it’s important to always use the purest form which should be organic, virgin (unrefined), cold-pressed, and preferably stored in glass jars. I regularly use Nutiva Organic Virgin Coconut Oil, 23 Ounce though there are other quality oils available.
After using coconut oil for years, I believe it holds up to its positive reputation!
Some of my favorite uses include:
- Lip balm – great for overnight use. I like to exfoliate my lips using coconut oil and a washrag. I then apply a light coat of coconut oil to moisturize.
- Makeup remover – works wonders for removing mascara.
- Face and body moisturizer (some people, especially teenagers, may experience a breakout – please use with caution until you know how your skin will react).
- Leave-in conditioner for the tips of my hair (great for long hair).
- Deep conditioner and sun protector while sunbathing.
- Sunburn relief. Coconut oil is also one of the few products that I have found actually helps prevent peeling.
- Insect Repellent – I am not sure about this claim, though I am rarely bitten.
- I use it as a foot deodorizer (you heard me – no more stinky feet!). Just rub on your feet before you put on your shoes. Be careful not to wipe your hands on your clothes or you could leave a mark.
- Oil pulling. This is such a healthy habit to begin! It helps pull toxins from the body, plus you gain whiter teeth and healthier gums. The process does take time to get use to – so be warned if you’ve never tried it before.
- Coconut oil is also one of the healthiest oils for cooking or baking. It is said to improve digestion, increase energy, and help in weight loss.